Organic Skincare for baby and newborn skin
A baby’s skin is very delicate so it’s important that it is treated with care. Organic Skincare for baby and newborn skin is a must, as you will find out reading more.
On the surface layer of skin is a very thin, natural protective film that’s made up of sebum (skin oils), amino acids, fatty acids, lactic acid, water (from perspiration), and skin’s own natural moisture. This is called the skin’s “acid mantle.” This layer is naturally acidic, with a pH level between 4.5 and 5.5. That explains the “acid” part. “Mantle” means a type of cloak or envelope, so the term “acid mantle” can be translated to an acidic cloak for the skin. This layer is very important for the skin’s health and here are a few of the things it does for us:
- Protects from environmental assaults like harsh weather and pollution.
- Reduces risk of infection and/or occasional breakouts.
- Secretes enzymes that help break down excess sebum, keeping skin oils in balance.
- Helps to soften skin and keep it hydrated.
- Works with the skin’s own immune system to produce antigens that keep bad bacteria away.
- Help keep skin cells tight and flat, promoting a smooth, strong barrier.
- Prevents against water loss.
Sensitive skin develops when the natural skin barrier/acid mantle becomes damaged, allowing moisture to escape from the skin. When the moisture escapes, the skin becomes dry which leaves it vulnerable to irritants. These irritants then inflame the skin, which can make it tender and itchy.
Environmental factors such as seasonal changes, central heating, air conditioning, too much washing and not careful enough drying can all dry out the skin, making it more delicate and prone to itchiness. Heavily perfumed soap, washing powders and some alcohol-based wipes can also cause problems.
There are some general guidelines to adhere to before we look at how Nathalie Bond products are a fantastic way to keep your babies’ skin nourished and moisturised –
- bath water should be between 36°-37°C and baths should be quick and fun. If you wash your baby for too long it can reduce skin’s natural oils, increasing the risk of irritation. After the bath make sure you pat the skin dry rather than rubbing, as rough drying can aggravate sensitive skin.
- Where possible, dress your baby in natural fabrics like cotton and linen. These allow the skin to breathe more easily.
- Wash bedding regularly to keep mites and dust at bay.
- Use laundry products that have been validated by the British Skin Foundation as these can be a big player in skin irritation.
This is why it’s so important that your cleanser is pH balanced for skin. Cleansers that are properly formulated to be slightly acidic, like skin’s acid mantle, work with skin to cleanse without stripping, upsetting, and drying. Though many cleansers say they’re pH-balanced, be cautious. Some still have harsh cleansers in them, which will work against skin’s natural system. Natural oils are your best bet for any skin care product, because they are similar in structure to the skin’s lipid layer, and they are much gentler than detergents.
The Nathalie Bond Gentle range is a fantastic substitute to mainstream products and have been used on Nat’s two boys and will be used on their imminent third addition. The PH balance of these products is around 8.
The unscented 100% natural range ensures that no nasties are entering the skin barrier, and leaves skin looking and feeling beautiful.
The gentle range contains ingredients like Organic Calendula Oil which is renowned for its calming and soothing properties on the skin and helps to fight excess oil. It contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E and Salicylic Acid. Organic Jojoba Oil is the liquid wax and is one of the most important oils in skin care. Unlike many other oils, jojoba is chemically very similar to human sebum. It has a natural SPF of 5 and penetrates the skin rapidly leaving a soft non-sticky feel. Organic Apricot Kernel Oil is light in texture and easily absorbed into the skin and is one of the best oils for sensitive skins, as it may help calm irritation and inflammation. Apricot kernel oil is also rich in vitamins including A, E and B. Organic Beeswax is full of incredible benefits for the skin from moisturizing to antibacterial. When applied, it forms a thin layer which protects the skin from environmental damage and helps your skin to retain moisture. Beeswax is loaded with vitamin A which helps to rejuvenate cells and promote reconstruction.
The Gentle Balm is also a hero product in the Bond household. It has been used to soothe nappy rashes and teething rashes, used as an alternative to mainstream nipple creams, has become the go to balm when the children have grazes/bumps or bruises (yes, they even ask for it when they have stopped crying!), to alleviate dry patches and for a bit of relaxing baby/toddler massage. It comes in a portable and recyclable container.
The Gentle Soap Bar is also fantastic on babies’ skin and can be used from the first weeks after baby has been born.
If you are looking for organic skincare for baby and newborn skin, then please check out our the Gentle Collection.