The Benefits of Avocado Oil for Skin
"The avocado is a food without rival among the fruits, the veritable fruit of paradise.” Adventurer and botanist, David Fairchild
Avocado oil (Persea Gratissima Oil) is derived from *surprise* avocados. Avocado has all the multivitamin cofactors that we need (potassium, sodium, magnesium, vitamins A, C, and K, folic acid, vitamin B6, and niacin). It also has a very strong antioxidant activity and a high concentration of monounsaturated fat. Avocado oil helps the skin in many ways.
Benefits of Avocado Oil for Skin
When applied topically, avocado oil has many cosmetic benefits, such as:
1. Promotes and affects total collagen content.
2. Minimizes damage: avocado oil is an excellent source of antioxidants, such as vitamin E, which help to absorb free radicals so we can protect ourselves from environmental damage.
3. Increases metabolic energy process in mitochondria by decreasing the free radicals and lipid peroxidation. Lipid peroxidation is the protection of the lipid cell membrane of the cells, so we want that from the skin also.
4. Helps skin maintain hydration: avocado oil can act as an emollient and has occlusive properties. It both softens the skin and traps humectants and emollients onto skin.
5. Minimizes inflammation: You might think that you wouldn’t want to put oil on acne-prone skin, but we recommend putting avocado oil on everything from eczema and psoriasis to dermatitis and acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Treats scalp dryness and flakiness: avocado oil also has been proven to improve a dry and flaking scalp. The seed oil has fungicidal and antibacterial activities, which is beneficial for someone who has dermatitis where there is an imbalance of the microbiome on the surface of the skin. The combination of medication, as well as the moisturizing benefits of avocado oil, can help relieve symptoms.
At Nathalie Bond we use avocado oil that is organic, unrefined, and cold-pressed to ensure the oil provides the maximum benefits. Avocado oil can be found in our highly nourishing organic Body Oils.
If Nathalie Bond sounds like your kind of clean skincare brand, check out our product range! Also, stay tuned to our blog for tips on easy, affordable and healthy skincare choices and ways to get your glow on!
Love Nathalie Bond x